VR training is researched and developed.
Jack (Raiden) is born.
The M1 Abrams tank is developed.
John Searle disproved the viability of the Turing test.
January 20th: The Iran Hostage Crisis ends. Iran releases 52 Americans who had been held hostage since November 4th 1979 (for 444 days), after the U.S. Embassy in Tehran had been taken over. The release happened minutes after the new U.S. President Ronald Reagan was sworn into office.
March 30th: U.S. President Ronald Reagan is seriously wounded in an assassination attempt.
April 12th: The U.S. launches the first Columbia space shuttle.
June 7th: Operation Opera: Israeli bombers strike at an under construction nuclear reactor in Iraq.
July 10th: The movie Escape from New York is released.
June: The Second Chadian Civil War ends.
March 23rd: U.S. President Ronald Reagan announces the SDI.
April 18th: A suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon.
June 27th: The MSX is formally announced to the public.
October 25th - December 15th: The Invasion of Grenada.
- The Soviet bloc underwent a boycott of the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles, alongside other affiliated countries.
- February 26th: Venom Snake awakens from his nine year coma at Dhekelia SBA Memorial hospital
- March 1st: Venom Snake, after undergoing various exercises for motor functions and giving his name and birthday, proceeds to learn that he had been in a coma for nine years. However, the shock of this discovery results in him relapsing and forcing the doctor and nurse to drug him to pacify him.
- March 5th: Venom Snake is briefed on his medical condition: he had various shrapnel, including stuff made of human bone, in his body: Specifically, several near his heart, and several, including a large portion, near his head. Although most were removed, the rest were too embedded to remove without endangering his life, although the horn portion itself was non-lethal as it is. However, he had another episode after discovering his left forearm had been amputated, forcing the nurse and doctor to put him to sleep again.
- March 11th: The British Air Force Hospital in Cyprus is attacked by various forces as they were planning to alter Venom Snake's appearance, including XOF, in order to kill Big Boss. Venom Snake escapes with the help of Ishmael and later Ocelot.
- The USS Missouri is modernized and placed back in action.
January: USSR General Secretary Mikhail Gorbachev proposes the elimination of intermediate-range nuclear weapons in Europe with the eventual elimination of all nuclear weapons by the end of the century.
January 28th: The U.S. space shuttle program stalls due to the Challenger explosion.
February: U.S. President Ronald Reagan proposes a limit of 140 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) in Europe and concurrent proportionate reductions in Asia.
March: The U.S. proposes the Human Genome Project, igniting a global research effort.
October: The Soviet Union begins a phased withdrawal of its troops from Afghanistan.
January: The Lord's Resistance Army insurgency begins in Uganda. Sometime during this civil war, Drebin 893 is kidnapped by the guerrilla forces and forced to fight as a child soldier in the conflict.
February: The Soyuz TM-2 successfully docks with Mir.
May: USSR residential force in Afghanistan begins retreat.
October: The U.S. and USSR come to a consensus on a Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles through extended negotiations.
February: During the Winter Olympics in Canada, Frank Jaeger (under the alias "Frank Hunter") meets Czech figure skater Gustava Heffner. They later fail in an attempt to elope, after Gustava is denied asylum in the West.
February 23rd - September 6th: During the Iran-Iraq War, Saddam Hussein launches the Al-Anfal Campaign, a genocidal military campaign against the Kurds in Northern Iraq. During the campaign, Sniper Wolf's family is killed.
May 27th - June 1st: The INF Treaty is ratified by the U.S. and USSR, and enters into force.
June: Arinamin V is developed by Takeda Chemical Industries, Ltd, the precursor to Regain 24.
August: U.S. space shuttle launches recommence.
SNF (Short-range Nuclear Force) total abandonment commences.
The separation between negotiations over START and SDI is prevailed to the public.
The USSR armed forces, including 500,000 personnel, 6 tank divisions and other troops, are cut.
February 2nd: The last USSR armored column leaves Kabul, ending 9 years of military occupation.
February 15th: The USSR announces that all of its troops have left Afghanistan.
August 25th: Voyager II passes the planet Neptune and begins its trip out of the Solar System.
September 22nd - 23rd: The U.S.-USSR sign a Memorandum of Understanding on Chemical Weapons at the Wyoming foreign minister meeting.
Democracy movements become widespread in various communist Eastern European areas.
Asylum-seeker and refugee flow into capitalist society increases.
December 20th, 1989 - January 31st, 1990: The United States invades Panama, codenamed "Operation Just Cause." Sundowner is involved in this invasion.
General Electric starts the Land Warrior project with the intention of reducing the weight of several combat equipment.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ^ a b c d Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kojima Productions (2010).
- ^ a b c Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Kojima Productions/Platinum Games (2013).
- ^ a b Metal Gear Solid 4 Database, Kojima Productions (2008).
- ^ Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (ending timeline), Kojima Productions (2014).
- ^ a b c Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan (2001).
- ^ Metal Gear Solid, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan (1998).
Revolver Ocelot: We live in a sad age. Imperialism, totalitarianism, perestroika... Twentieth century Russia had its share of problems, but at least they had an ideology. Russia today has nothing.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - User's Manual, Konami Corporation (1990).
- ^ a b c Metal Gear Solid, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan (1998).
- ^ Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Konami Corporation (1990).
- ^ Metal Gear - User's Manual, Konami Corporation (1987).
|Metal Gear Timeline|
|Pre-20th century — Pre-1940s — 1940s — 1950s — 1960s — 1970s — 1980s — 1990s — 2000s — 2010s|