Downloadable content, more commonly known as and abbreviated to DLC, refers to additional content for a game released via the Internet. It can either be free or require a payment. While Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence featured extra content that could be downloaded from its second and third discs onto a memory card, it does not require an Internet connection and as such, does not fall under the banner of DLC. Likewise, although some games and demos are downloadable through online services, they are wholly contained products rather than add-ons. Some DLC is offered as pre-order bonuses or bundled with certain additions of games, usually through an access code found in the game's box or on the purchase receipt. In some cases, such as Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, DLC can also be found as passcodes on various items. DLC generally requires registration to the platform's online service.
DLC found in the Metal Gear series includes:
- Downloadable content in Metal Gear Solid 4
- Downloadable content in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- Downloadable content in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
- Downloadable content in Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- Downloadable Content in Metal Gear Online 3