Lime soda is a canned, citrus-flavored, carbonated soft drink.
Use by the Militaires Sans Frontières Edit
During the Peace Walker Incident in 1974, the mercenary group, the Militaires Sans Frontières, procured a recipe for a canned soft drink, along with that for tortilla chips, after rescuing Amanda Valenciano Libre in Costa Rica. Brewing the recipe evidently resulted in the creation of lime soda, containing moderate amounts of citric acid and sugar to reduce the effects of fatigue. According to the can, it had four times lime flavor.
Behind the scenesEdit
Lime Soda is a recovery item featured in the English version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. In the Japanese version, the item is actually Mountain Dew, which, although it technically existed in the time period of the game, was primarily added in as product placement by director Hideo Kojima. Also, by entering a code, which was included in specially labelled Mountain Dew cans, a Mountain Dew T-shirt and/or a Pepsi NEX T-shirt can be unlocked as well as some recruits with the shirt(s). There was also a briefing file where Naked Snake and Kazuhira Miller talked about Mountain Dew, but it was removed from the various Peace Walker releases outside Japan, presumably for copyright issues. The briefing file indicated that Miller had it developed as an alternative to Mate tea in case any MSF members wanted something carbonated, although Big Boss initially felt the battlefield didn't allow for picky eating.
- "MOUNTAIN DEW
A t-shirt with the MOUNTAIN DEW logo. Identical to the Jungle Fatiques in basic characteristics. MOUNTAIN DEW drinkers must wear this above anything else!"
- — MOUNTAIN DEW T-shirt description (English translation) in the Japanese version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- "Canned carbonated drink containing moderate amounts of citric acid and sugar for reducing the effects of fatigue. The refreshing citric taste and the mild stimulation of carbonic acid has an invigorating effect not only physically, but mentally as well."
- — Lime Soda description in the English version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Lime Soda restores PSYCHE and a small amount of LIFE, and is automatically used when the LIFE Gauge reaches zero, if it is equipped in the item box.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ^ http://kotaku.com/5513122/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-product-placement-explained
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vP9fO2OCQ
- ^ Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (Japanese version), Kojima Productions (2010).
Briefing Files > Briefing Library > Miller > Special Items > Mountain Dew:
Kazuhira Miller: Don't you wish you had a beverage you could take with you during a mission? // Naked Snake (Big Boss): Don't worry about that. I already got my maté. // Miller: Maté is good and all, but... don't you wish for something carbonated instead? // Snake: Maybe, but I can't be too picky over what I bring to a battlefield. It's not like I'm going to Time Square for a shopping spree. // Miller: No need to worry about that, Snake. Our R&D staff have just invented a new soft drink. We're calling it "Mountain Dew"! // Snake: Mountain Dew! // Miller: Yes. A refreshing citrus flavored drink reminiscent of the great outdoors. It's lightly carbonated too, so you can drink in gulps even when tired.