|M134 Gatling Gun|
|Name||M134 Gatling Gun|
|Manufacturer||General Electric, Dillon Aero INC, DeGroat Tactical Armaments, Garwood Industries|
|Appearances||Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker|
|Barrel length||559 mm|
|Action||Electrically driven rotary breech|
|Muzzle velocity||2,850 ft/sec (869 m/s)|
|Max range||3,280 ft (1,000 m, 1,093 yd)|
|Feed system||Disintegrating cartridge belt or linkless feed; dependent on installation|
|Sight system||Dependent on installation; no fixed sights|
The M134 Gatling Gun, sometimes known as the Minigun, is a 7.62mm multibarrel machine gun with a high rate of fire employing gatling-style rotating barrels with an external power source.
The M134 was developed as a method of scaling down the M60 Vulcan cannon yet still retaining its firepower. It saw use in the Vietnam War via attack choppers such as the UH-1D "Huey" Iroquois.
- Main article: Peace Walker Incident
During the 1974 Peace Walker Incident, Big Boss and the Militaires Sans Frontieres procured design specs for the M134 Gatling Gun after capturing a LAV-C Custom. Their R&D, including some M134 design specialists, then developed their own M134 gun.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "An unholy terror of a weapon that spits out thousands of bullets per minute from its six rotating barrels.
Its destructive power is the stuff of legend. However, the system's enormous weight makes handling it a nightmare.
If you think power is everything, then this is the gun you've been looking for."
- ―M134 weapon description from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Not only is the M134 actually too heavy and powerful to be used by infantry, it is also the first weapon of its kind to make it into a Metal Gear Solid title. The M134 "Minigun" is especially popular as one of the most offensive fictional firearms ever made.
The M134 is developed as a Rank 5 weapon in Peace Walker and has no additional variants.
The following is required to obtain this weapon:
- Design Specs obtained from an S-rank completion of Extra Ops 75 against the LAV-C Custom
- M134 Design Ability obtained from a recruitiable soldier found in Extra Ops 48
- It costs GMP 447070 to develop this weapon
- An R&D level of 98 is required to develop this weapon