Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Ithaca 37 is an American-made pump-action shotgun.
First appearing in 1937, the Ithaca Model 37 is sometimes called the "Featherlight" due to its light weight.
The M37 was used by the Spetsnaz in Tselinoyarsk, during the time of Operation Snake Eater in 1964. Forces under Colonel Volgin added the M37 to their arsenal in order to utilize the effectiveness of shotguns in combat, as observed in Malaysia by the British SAS. The M37 was used by attack teams and members of the elite Ocelot Unit. It had a sawn-off barrel and stock, further reducing the weight to 2.9 kg (6.4 lbs), which is exceptionally light for a shotgun. It carried four 12-gauge shells in a tube magazine and operated using a pump action, meaning there was a delay in between shots.
- Main article: San Hieronymo Incident
|Warning: The following information is from outside Hideo Kojima's core "Metal Gear Saga." It has some level of canonicity within the continuity, but reader discretion is advised.[?]|
Various Red Army and FOX Unit soldiers utilized the M37 Shotgun during the San Hieronymo Incident in 1970. In addition, ex-GRU major Ivan Raidenovitch Raikov carried an M37 as his primary weapon upon being recruited by Naked Snake's resistance.
|Non-"Metal Gear Saga" information ends here.|
- Main article: Peace Walker Incident
During the Peace Walker Incident in 1974, the CIA mercenary group Peace Sentinel used the M37 shotgun. During this time, the Militaires Sans Frontières also procured design specs for the weapon. The MSF developed and improved upon the M37 designs, including increasing its ammo limit and barrel, improving its firepower, and eventually adding a suppressor onto the model. The MSF also discovered that they could increase the barrel's length to increase its accuracy, add in a rifle stock, and later made an accurized model.
Behind the scenes
The M37 Shotgun made its first appearance in the non-canon sequel to Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge as a procurable shotgun, although the manual mistranslated it as the M31 shotgun. The M37 wouldn't make a canonical appearance in the series until Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
The player can obtain the M37 in Rassvet during the Virtuous Mission, though it is lost when Naked Snake is thrown off the bridge in Dolinovodno. During Operation Snake Eater, the shotgun can be found in Chyornaya Peschera Cave, immediately before the battle against The Pain.
The M37 is extremely powerful, capable of blowing enemies away and doing serious damage. Most guards will be killed in one blast, but the shot's effectiveness decreases over range. It is also a countermeasure against attack team troops carrying bullet-proof shields, since most guns can't penetrate the shield without using almost a full magazine. The Pain's hornet shield can be penetrated by three shotgun blasts, leaving him vulnerable. The M37 also has a slow reload rate and this can be a deadly giveaway in combat since it only carries 4 rounds. A strategy to prevent such reload is to quickly un-equip it and re-equip it again which then is present with a full magazine.
- "The M37. An American-made shotgun. The stock and barrel have been sawed off to reduce the weight. Carries four 12-gauge shells. 2.9kg."
- ―M37 description in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
- "This 12-gauge shotgun, known as the Featherlight," is almost 1 kg lighter than other guns in its class. It features a unique mechanism where the feed on the lower part of the receiver also functions as the ejection port.
The U.S. military currently uses a large number of this weapon in the conflict in Vietnam.
Holds four shells."
- ―M37 weapons description in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
In Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, the player can obtain design specs for the M37 during an Extra Op, in which the MSF steal an enemy supply crate at Aldea de los Despiertos. The player has the option to further customize and enhance the weapon, via Mother Base's R&D Team.
- "A pump-action shotgun. Shells are loaded and ejected through the same opening. This makes the gun sturdier by reducing the number of apertures while also allowing for a more slender and hence lighter frame - almost a kilogram lighter than similar products of the same generation. It is popular among military, law enforcement, and civilian users alike.
(Rank 2) While not big on ammo capacity, it packs plenty of firepower - good for those unexpected close encounters.
(Rank 3) The tube magazine has been extended to increase its ammo capacity.
(Ranks 4-5) Equipped with a limited-use suppressor. The suppressor will eventually wear out, so use it prudently."
- ―Model Viewer description of the M37 in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- "Fitted with a rifle stock for improved firing precision."
- ―Model Viewer description of the M37 Long Barrel in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- "Fitted with a rifle stock and a scope and adapted to fire slugs. These modifications have improved its long-range firing precision to the point where it can even be used as a substitute for a sniper rifle in some conditions."
- ―Model Viewer description of the M37 Accurized Model in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker