|This article is about the MAC-10. You may be looking for the sub-compact version, the MAC-11.|
The Ingram MAC-10, officially known as the M10, is a highly compact, blowback operated machine pistol developed by Gordon B. Ingram in 1964.
It was first developed in 1964, and was eventually formally adopted into the military by 1970.
- Main article: San Hieronymo Incident
|Warning: The following information is from outside Hideo Kojima's core "Metal Gear Saga." It has some level of canonicity within the continuity, but reader discretion is advised.[?]|
During the San Hieronymo Incident, a MAC-10 with an equippable suppressor was procured by Big Boss's resistance unit at the power substation after a Spy Unit located it. Null used this weapon with combination of a machete.
|Non-"Metal Gear Saga" information ends here.|
- Main article: Peace Walker Incident
The Peace Sentinel's Escort troops often carried the M10 into battle with them, while escorting various vehicles. Big Boss and his mercenary group, the Militaires Sans Frontières, later procured design specs relating to the M10 at El Cenegal's swamp while attempting to track Amanda Valenciano Libre's Sandinista National Liberation Front towards the Bananal Fruta de Oro in an attempt to find out if nukes did indeed exist. They later added a suppressor onto it. During a holdup exercise at Bananal Fruita de Oro's Sorting Shed, the MSF also procured design specs relating to a variant of the M10 that utilized a Bullet Jacket and put it into development.
By 1975, the MAC-10/M10 was removed from the use of the United States military.
Behind the scenes
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
- "Compact and light, this American-made light submachine carries a 32-round magazine of powerful 9x19mm ammo, firing at a rate of over 1,000 rounds per minute. This excessively fast firing rate has a negative impact on accuracy; but in the hands of a seasoned marksman, it can deliver massive firepower in a matter of seconds.
Can be equipped with a suppressor."
- ―M10 weapon description in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- "A miniature light submachine gun developed for Special Forces use, notable for its extremely compact, highly portable design.
The M10's extremely high rate of fire allows the user to pelt the target with a barrage of well-placed shots, giving it impressive stopping power. This power comes at the expense of accuracy, however, as the gun's small size is ill-balanced against its high recoil.
It takes a great deal of practice to bring out this submachine gun's full capabilities; the best approach is to keep using it until you are thoroughly familiar with how it handles.
(Rank 2) Equipped with a limited-use suppressor. The suppressor will eventually wear out, so use it prudently.
(Rank 3) This model is fitted with a barrel jacket, slightly increasing the weight and shifting the center of gravity forward. The effect is to reduce muzzle jump, improving the gun's firing accuracy."
- ―M10 and M10 (w/ Barrel Jacket) weapon description in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker