Metal Gear 20th Anniversary: Metal Gear Solid Collection is a Japan-only collection that was released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Metal Gear series. It was released on July 26, 2007 for ¥6,900 (roughly £28, or $57). The collection includes all of the canonical Metal Gear games available at the time:
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (on one PlayStation 2 disc)
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (with exclusive cover art)
- Metal Gear Saga Vol. 2
The set also contains a special letter (in Japanese) from Hideo Kojima, which says the following:
- "Metal Gear, my first game, was born in 1987, back when we were still living in the Shōwa era. I remember that at the time, I had no intention of creating a sequel or a series. I was simply hell-bent on making a good game. Today I realize that Metal Gear has made it to 20 years thanks to the support of all its fans around the world. Furthermore, I feel it is entirely due to those fans who love Metal Gear that I have come this far over the past two decades. We created these 20th anniversary versions during this commemorative year as our way of saying thanks to you. The different games each reveal everyone's thoughts and feelings at the time, containing the fingerprints of the period they come from. We hope you enjoy the Metal Gear saga."
- ―Hideo Kojima
Alongside the complete box set, the games were re-released individually in 20th Anniversary packaging. Their features and manuals are identical to the box set, aside from disc colors (the complete set includes matching black discs):
- Metal Gear Solid (¥1,500, red discs)
- Metal Gear Solid 2 and The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 (¥1,800, blue discs)
- Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear, and Metal Gear 2 (¥2,800, green discs)
- Portable Ops (¥2,800, standard cover art)
Behind the scenes
Each game is included on its original platform (with the exception of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2), so the complete box set includes discs for three different PlayStation platforms (PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable) in a single product.
The original versions of Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2 are included in the collection, rather than the updated Integral and Substance editions. The version of Metal Gear Solid 3 included, however, is actually the Subsistence edition.
Rather than include the full second disc of Subsistence, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are presented on their own PlayStation 2 disc with a new title screen that allows the player to select either game. The art on the title screen is in the style of the Metal Gear Saga packaging.
As Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 was not released in Japan, the copy of Vol. 2 included is branded simply as "Metal Gear Saga." The disc is colored silver like the Vol. 1 disc, and a Chapter List sheet is included.
Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 both include new, larger manuals (the size of a DVD case), with new cover art, alongside regular size inserts containing regulatory information. Metal Gear Solid's manual is the normal PS1 size with new cover art, and a cover insert is included with the box set featuring a blurb and the required screenshot of Meryl Silverburgh's Codec frequency (the wraparound for the box set also features this screenshot). Portable Ops features the normal manual, but includes exclusive cover art in the box set with a snakeskin pattern and silver foil-stamped emblem logo.