New International Track & Field (New International ハイパースポーツDS New International Hyper Sports DS?), is a sports video game by Konami for the Nintendo DS. Developed by Sumo Digital, it is the latest game in Konami's Track and Field series.
New International Track & Field features single-player career and training modes in addition to Wi-Fi multi-player between 2 to 4 players, a character-based minigame challenge mode and a worldwide player ranking system. The original Track and Field game will also be available to play.
The gameplay of New International Track & Field differs from the traditional button mashing and joystick-wiggling gameplay of the original games in that players use the motion of the stylus to set a rhythm for their character. In addition, the game will also feature uses for the DS' dual screens and you can shout encouragement for your character via the microphone to give them an extra boost. The louder you shout, the bigger the boost.
New International Track & Field features an online community at newtrackandfield.com. Players are able to link their games to their website accounts and participate in online global scoreboards, teams, and tournaments. The site also features forums for discussion about the game.
24 events are featured in the game.
- 100 Meter Dash|100 Metre Sprint
- Long Jump
- 110 Metre Hurdles
- Skeet Shooting
- 400 Metre Distance
- Triple Jump
- Shot Put
- 100 Metre Backstroke
- High Jump
- High Dive
- Double Trap Shooting
- Horizontal bar
New International Track & Field features a roster of 18 super deformed characters designed by comic company UDON. The roster includes a mix of original characters and established Konami characters. Additional costumes and accessories will be unlockable. Characters announced so far include:
- Oolong (possibly an aged version of the protagonist of Yie Ar Kung Fu)
- The Referee
- Ming Ming
- Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures
- Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill Homecoming
- Evil Rose from Rumble Roses
- Simon Belmont from Castlevania
- Pentarō from Antarctic Adventure
- Solid Snake from Metal Gear
- Power Pro-kun from the Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū series
- ^ Konami - New International Track & Field Community
- ^ GC '07: New International Track & Field Hands-On
- ^ Konami Gamers Night 2008
- ^ newtrackandfield.com Global Scoreboards
- ^ newtrackandfield.com Teams
- ^ newtrackandfield.com Tournaments
- ^ Official New International Track & Field Events Page
- ^ Konami Gamers Night 2008 - Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc
- ^ New International Track and Field - Press Releases - www.mcvuk.com
- ^ IGN DS: Best Sports Game 2008. IGN.com (2008-12-15). Retrieved on 2008-12-19.
- ^ IGN DS: Best Local Multiplayer Game 2008. IGN.com (2008-12-15). Retrieved on 2008-12-19.