A politician, also known as a political leader or political figure, is an individual who is heavily involved in public policy and decision making. They are primarily involved in governments, whether of the local, state, or national level, whether directly running the government or trying to get a position in it via elections or coups, although they can also occur within corporations.
Examples of politicians
- Steven Armstrong (Colorado senator of both the state and national level, as well as the candidate for the 2020 presidency).
- James Johnson (Vice President under George Sears, and President from 2005 up to his assassination in 2009).
- Lyndon B. Johnson (President from 1963 following John F. Kennedy's assassination up to Richard Nixon's election in 1968).
- George Sears (President during 2000-2005 and Les Enfants Terribles clone of Big Boss).
- Government official, an official who was involved in Gene's hijacking of the ICBMG before being betrayed.
Behind the scenes
Politicians frequently appear in the Metal Gear franchise, usually acting behind the scenes on behalf of their respective governments. In Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, characters having the career of "politician" will allow the player to recruit prisoners more quickly, or increase the chance of characters being extracted via Fulton recovery in Portable Ops Plus. During gameplay, government officials will flee upon discovering the player character, and will place their hands on their heads, scream, and/or make distressed sentences, while being up close to them will cause them to flinch, fidget their arms, and sometimes stumble backwards.
Notes and references
- ^ Metal Gear Solid, Konami Computer Entertainment Japan (1998).
Nastasha Romanenko: The current president [George Sears/Solidus Snake] has not yet had any foreign policy successes. His term will be up soon, and the word at the White House is that he desperately wants this one [the START III Accord] for the history books. // Solid Snake: Typical politician. // Nastasha: It's a big concern for him and his supporters.
- ^ Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Kojima Productions/Platinum Games (2013).
Raiden: Typical politician... big promises, but all talk. // Steven Armstrong: What? // Raiden: "Jump-start the economy"? What a load of bullshit! All you care about is lining your own pockets. That, and your approval ratings. You've got no principles, just like all the rest. If America's gone to shit, you're just another maggot crawling in the pile!