The AUG (Armee Universal Gewehr—"universal army rifle"), occasionally referred to as the SUG, is an Austrian bullpup 5.56mm assault rifle, designed in the early 1970s.
- Main article: Peace Walker Incident
During the Peace Walker Incident in 1974, the Militaires Sans Frontieres managed to procure design specs of the SUG after successfully sneaking through the Central Heredia cloud forest of Costa Rica, undetected, and later developed their own versions.
The Steyr AUG began official production in 1978 and later adopted by the Austrian military in 1979. It also found its way into the service of several nations' armed forces, as well as other governmental organizations.
- Main article: Zanzibar Land Disturbance
In 1999, the Steyr AUG was adopted as the standard-issue rifle of Zanzibar Land's armed forces, replacing the Enfield L85A1. Two magazines were attached to the sides of the weapon to hasten reload time during battle.
Behind the scenes
The AUG's appearance in Peace Walker is anachronistic, as it was developed in 1977, three years after the events of Peace Walker .
- "A newcomer to the assault rifle field. Most of its main components are made of plastic, and it features an advanced bullpup design with the action mechanism situated behind the grip.
Design-wise, its compact size makes the SUG easy to handle and recoil easier to absorb. However, it is somewhat lacking in power since it uses the same ammo as the M16.
The SUG is easy to control due to its low recoil, improving the user's ability to concentrate fire into a target's vital areas and thus boosting the chances of scoring a critical hit."
- ―SUG weapon description from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Notes and references
- ^ Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - User's Manual, Konami Corporation (1990).