Image of Zero, MGS3Edit
Why was the image of Zero from MGS3 removed? Kennedy 3421 12:48, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
Could we have a cutscene image of him rather than that image of him for the manual. Kennedy 3421 04:24, August 20, 2010 (UTC)Kennedy 3421
- Uh, you already added a cutscene image of him from MGS3. --Bluerock 07:06, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- I meant for his profile box instead, Does not really matter though.
- Images from cutscenes are more suited for accompanying the text within an article, to highlight certain events/aspects of that character. The profile pic should be as simple a depiction as possible, without any surrounding context (though sometimes this is not possible if an appropriate image doesn't exist, e.g. DOD official, DCI, Granin). These things help to improve the article's presentation. --Bluerock 14:52, August 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Ok thats fair enough. Kennedy 3421 10:13, August 21, 2010 (UTC)Kennedy 3421
- I meant for his profile box instead, Does not really matter though.
Zero = Null?Edit
Could Major Zero be the "man with the same codename as NULL" mentioned in Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops?
- Yes. I'm of the opinion that it's pretty much him, no question. I haven't added it to his Wiki page yet though. I've been waiting for more hard evidence. --Fantomas 11:23, 24 March 2008 (UTC)
We'll probably get confirmation from MGS4, but for now I guess it is pretty safe to assume that it's referring to him... We could list it in the actual article for now as an unverified theory.Guitaroooman 08:37, 26 March 2008 (UTC)
I think that we could list Zero as alive instead of deceased since the game takes place in the future.--220.127.116.11 01:27, 20 June 2008 (UTC)
- No, we don't do things like that. We act as though the writings on our wiki are set just after the latest game in the series. --Fantomas 11:43, 20 June 2008 (UTC)
- Oh, okay. :)--18.104.22.168 19:34, 28 June 2008 (UTC)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but where does it say that Major Zero is in a PVC (Persisent Vegitative State)? The reason I say is because, again I'm not a medical expert so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that in a PVC one doesn't need a life-support system, and therefore Zero cannot possibly be in a PVC. You do need to be fed of course, but turning off a machine that does that wouldn't kill Zero straight away, he would have to starve to death first. Chaos91 16:22, 23 July 2008 (UTC)
wasn't zero the guy who wanted to kill the boss, i think gene refers "man with the same codename as NULL" as being the cunning strategist who killed the boss.
- No, it wasn't Zero, that was the CIA director (MGS4 kinda confirmed that.).
- Actually, now that I think about it, was the "man with the same codename as NULL" supposed to be Zero? I mean, right after Gene realized before getting an answer as to who was helping Ocelot, he also asked if he realizes that he's betraying his boss by this action. Later, Ocelot encounters his "Boss" and basically betrays him by assassinating him and stealing the Philosophers Briefcase. When he received the call from Major Zero, he only said that he was quitting, which wouldn't mean betrayal (Betrayal is usually commiting an action that harms the person that you work with, and it has to be pre-meditive, and a major amount of hurt, like, you know, sending your boss to jail for a crime he masterminded, arranging for your boss to be killed, defecting to another country, etc, etc.)
The "man with the same codename as Null" is definetly Zero, because if you remember Null is a lost number, a number even less then one, which means only one thing, Zero. This whole thing was a plan to get the rest of the Legacy, Zero helped Gene get Metal Gear to use it against the Soviet Union according Cunningham's plan, but he knew Gene would learn about Cunningham's plan and would then use Metal Gear against the U.S that way the CIA director would try to hide the Legacy in a bunker then Ocelot would kill him and steal the Legacy and they used Big Boss, aka Naked Snake, to destroy Metal Gear to stop the nuclear launch. That way they would get the Legacy without a nuclear explosion.
Zero did not kill the Boss, He was a friend of her and they knew each other from SAS, plus he just as much as Big Boss was shocked that she defected. It was the director of the CIA Hot Coldman (Not the one who Big Boss refused to shake hands with_, who was the man behind the death of her. Coldman feared her because of her views and possibly because she is a woman. Coldman is the cunning strategist.
Is it really "Ashes To Ashes" you're all thinking of? I would've thought "Space Oddity" would make more sense... JaffaCakeLover 21:16, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
- Well, Space Oddity, Ashes to Ashes and Hallo Spaceboy all feature the character. Maybe we should list all three? --Fantomas 23:01, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
- Not to mention that Naked Snake says, "Can you hear me, Major Tom?" during one of the early calls. That is an exact lyric from Space Oddity. --pinkkfloydd
Hey, what's up with the page? Edit
I tried to edit the page to add the SIS into his affiliations, and it ended up becoming messed up. Weedle McHairybug 23:59, November 10, 2009 (UTC)
- We're not sure why the page keeps doing this, but I'm assuming it has something to do with Wikia's "new" editor. Did you just want to add SIS to his affiliations? --Fantomas 00:03, November 11, 2009 (UTC)
- Yeah, I did. Well, technically, it was more like MI6, since that was the more specific branch he answered to, but still the same thing. Weedle McHairybug 00:06, November 11, 2009 (UTC)
Why kill Zero? Edit
Not sure if I missed something in MGS4, but why exactly was it necessary for Zero to die? At this point in time, the Patriot's were completely run by the AIs, with no direction or input from Zero. I doubt he could actually reform the Patriots, or be any kind of threat, in his current condition. Did Big Boss/EVA/Ocelot just wanna get even with him? --Bluerock 22:39, February 11, 2010 (UTC)
That wasn't his reason for doing so though. --Bluerock 22:57, February 11, 2010 (UTC)
Here's the speech. I guess Zero was a symbol or something. So long as he lived, The Patriots could return. You figure it out.
Big Boss: Everything has its beginning. But doesn't start at "one." It starts long before that, in chaos. The world is born... From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes 100. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as zero remains, one will eventually grow to 100 again. And so our goal was to erase Zero. Even the mighty Patriots began with a single man. That one man's desires grew huge, bloated; absorbed technology; began to manipulate the economy. We realized too late that we had created a beast. We had helped turn Zero into 100. His sin... was ours. And for that reason, I'm taking it upon myself to send Zero... back to nothing. 22.214.171.124 23:02, February 11, 2010 (UTC)
Guess we'll never know, it just seemed kinda pointless to kill him, other than to wrap up loose ends of the plot. --Bluerock 23:06, February 11, 2010 (UTC)
By the way, good to see you've calmed down a bit. Doubt it'll last long though--Bluerock 23:08, February 11, 2010 (UTC)
Very cute. Biohazard22 12:10, February 12, 2010 (UTC)
It was clearly not the right thing for Big Boss to do but then again, Zero was in a vegetive state and could not even speak or think like a human being, he was practically dead already plus he was very old in age . So maybe Big Boss wanted to put him out of his misery Kennedy 3421 12:48, July 22, 2010 (UTC)Kennedy 3421
where does it say his name is David Oh?--Soul reaper 09:54, April 20, 2010 (UTC)
- It's kinda stated in the article itself, but it is in the Metal Gear Solid 4 Database. Personally, I have difficulty interpreting it as canon due to certain... flaws with it (most notably Solidus erasing Raiden's memories of his being a child soldier.). Weedle McHairybug 09:56, April 20, 2010 (UTC)
- I know what you mean about the Database, I don't really know whether to believe alot of the stuff it says--Soul reaper 10:13, April 20, 2010 (UTC)
- The leaked document of the cast that surfaced before MGS3 came out also stated his real name was David Oh. This document turned out to be right on all the character information so I think it's safe to say that this was Kojima's desire versus something someone else
- came up with after MGS4. [Talk] 01:28, July 5, 2010 (UTC)
About James Bond films...Edit
There was a mention that Zero is fan of James Bond films. Funny though, Dr. No and From Russia With Love (both released before operation Snake Eater) movies doesn't have gun shaped like a pen. First gun shaped like a pen was in Moonraker (1979) and that pen was CIAs invention. First Qs gun pen is in non- EON film Never Say Never Again (1983). Second gun pen was in Golden Eye (1995). So anyway, my point was that during radio conversation where Zero mentions that they should make gun shaped like a pen for Snake during operation Snake Eater, James Bond movies haven't introducted those things yet. That means Zero had read James Bond novels before operation Snake Eater. That means Zero must be a fan of James Bond novels too. Does anyone get my point?Dr.Ed Argon 09:17, May 24, 2011 (UTC)
- If I recall correctly, there are no pen devices in the novels; that was a movie idea. Zero is more likely referring to the movie series as a whole, for the sake of humor, even though it is anachronistic for the game's setting. Even so, gadgets were introduced in FRWL (the attache case), so he could just be envisioning the concept of a gun disguised as an ordinary object. Also, being in the secret service, Zero may already have knowledge of similar real-life gadgets. --Bluerock 12:18, May 24, 2011 (UTC)
Zero in Ground Zeroes trailer?Edit
I seriously doubt it's really him as the article speculates. We'd have seen the burn scars on the old Zero seen at the end of MGS4, and Konami isn't usually in the habit of retconning something like this unless absolutely necessary. Soma K. (talk) 03:29, September 16, 2012 (UTC)
Anyone else find it funny that an Englishman who set out to control the world through espionage and information control was born in the same year that the precursor to the British SIS (more commonly known as MI6) was founded? Terminator-HIX