Fandom

Metal Gear Wiki

Armstrong

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

  • Wow.  I can't believe Kojima allowed such a terrible, TERRIBLE, character to be present in a Metal Gear game.  Unbelievable.  The final fight is horrible!  Worst Metal Gear battle ever.  Many of the fights in this game were bad but this one takes the cake.  Awful, truly bad.

    If you could inject nanomachines that make you invincible why would anyone bother becoming a cyborg?  Why would Sundowner, for instance, attach six lame looking reactive armor plates to his back, look like a buffoon, if he could just spike up on "nanomachines that harden with every physical impact"?  Holy s***!  How f***ing lame!!!!!

    Massive disappointment, that's all I have to say.  What a huge mistake they made with the bosses. Mistral was too easy, Monsoon was too hard, Sundowner was stupid, Sam was basically button mashing, and Armstrong....forget about it....WAY too hard, WAY too dumb.  Over the top DUMB!

    All that fighting and cutting with all these advanced weapons and cyborgs and the final battle is against a "football player" with nanomachines that make him Superman.  WTF did he have the giant robot for? 

      Loading editor
    • I agree...

        Loading editor
    • You were looking for a Konami made, in house, Metal Gear game from Rising I'm guessing.  This is Platinum Games, and as a fan of both theirs and the original Metal Gear games, I knew what to expect considering who the main development staff was.  Completely coherent stories without loopholes is not their forte, over the top badassery is, along with that odd sense of humor.  Higher than average difficulty sometimes bordering insane is too (2 GRADs on Very Hard mode, yikes). 


      So really, you only have yourself to blame for expecting it to be something that it clearly was not designed to be (which should have been obvious considering all the videos and such).

        Loading editor
    • 76.0.67.110 wrote:
      You were looking for a Konami made, in house, Metal Gear game from Rising I'm guessing.  This is Platinum Games, and as a fan of both theirs and the original Metal Gear games, I knew what to expect considering who the main development staff was.  Completely coherent stories without loopholes is not their forte, over the top badassery is, along with that odd sense of humor.  Higher than average difficulty sometimes bordering insane is too (2 GRADs on Very Hard mode, yikes). 


      So really, you only have yourself to blame for expecting it to be something that it clearly was not designed to be (which should have been obvious considering all the videos and such).


      Technically, Platinum Games only did the gameplay and the build. The actual story was made by Kojima Productions, so the blame would have to be placed there.

        Loading editor
    • I take back the "too hard" stuff.  But the Senator Armstrong sentiments still hold, wow, what a   an awful character for a Metal Gear game.  The Excelus was mega-dumb too, the Ray was more fun.

        Loading editor
    • Don't worry about it too much- Ground Zeroes will wash away the bad taste. ;)

        Loading editor
    • Actually, the problem with Armstrong's fight is that he was the ONLY boss that required the dodge command. It worked against almost every one of his attacks and helped chip away health while you dodged.

      Other than that, I was hoping and holding out for him to be more like Volgin or Ocelot and lead into a larger plot (which kinda justified their insane strenght and powers), but he ended up being the top of the chain. I mean it helped that I basically saw the whole confrontation between Raiden and him as two basic extremes of Big Boss, where Armstrong was only concerned with the strong and Raiden only concerned with using the strong solely for the sake of the weak, which was the whole paradox Big Boss got caught up in with his mercenary business. Hell, there seems to be that sentiment in a lot of the Metal Gear series, where a very dangerous group of people want to break away from the rule and do their own thing, in both FOXHOUND and Philanthropy flavors.

        Loading editor
    • lol at Monsoon too hard

        Loading editor
    • Monsoon wasn't hard at all. No Nanopastes on Hard difficulty. If you're having trouble, then parry and throw EM grenades when you can't hit him. Armstrong was really hard, but it's a Platinum game. He would be. Kind of bitchy when he stands in the pillars of fire, though.

        Loading editor
    • Armstrong didn't need Metal Gear EXCELSUS, he just used it for his plan to cause people to suspect that someone was funding Desperado because they couldn't afford a Metal Gear like that.

      The reason that people like Sundowner didn't have those nanomachines was that the nanomachines were a secret and as Doktor says, he didn't even know that these nanomachines were complete. Most likely Armstrong kept this a secret from the others.

      Mistral was pretty much easy to beat, Monsoon wasn't that difficult, Sundowner was the easiest of the four, and Sam was in between Mistral and Monsoon in difficulty.

      Armstrong was a tough fight for me the first time, though my first fight was not as difficult as when i fought him on Very Hard. He weakest hits took 1/4 of my health and if I didn't do blade mode right when he starts throwing things at me I lost all my health. Took me 40mins to kill him (though on my last attempt I pretty much kicked his ass.)

      I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.

        Loading editor
    • The Ace of Razgriz wrote:


      I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.


      If i'm not mistaken, Armstrong is both both a senator and the leader of World Marshal.

        Loading editor
    • ShadowPirateX wrote:
      The Ace of Razgriz wrote:


      I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.


      If i'm not mistaken, Armstrong is both both a senator and the leader of World Marshal.

      According to the wiki he was just working with World Marshal. I doubt that the leader of a PMC could become a senator.

        Loading editor
    • I don't think having a senator as a main antagonist is too bad, I mean, MGS2 had the US President as the main antagonist, a senator isn't as far fetched

        Loading editor
    • I didn't see this guy coming, and I was pretty disappointed that Sam wasn't the final boss, and a little harder, because of the build up he had. But I still had fun with this fight and he was challenging but not impossible. All in all I had a lot of fun with this game.

        Loading editor
    • The Ace of Razgriz wrote: I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.

      Well come on, is it really that much dumber than fighting a US President who is somehow (a) a Les Enfants Terribles clone (b) a former leader of a unit of child soldiers from Liberia and (c) Doctor Octopus?

      Raiden just seems to attract ridiculous political figures.

        Loading editor
    • Evil Tim wrote:

      The Ace of Razgriz wrote: I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.

      Well come on, is it really that much dumber than fighting a US President who is somehow (a) a Les Enfants Terribles clone (b) a former leader of a unit of child soldiers from Liberia and (c) Doctor Octopus?

      Raiden just seems to attract ridiculous political figures.

      Solidus really was a ridiculous guy. Also, Metal Gear games usually had a final boss who was at equal skill and power as the protagonist. Solidus was no where near being equal to Raiden (i blame the rocket boots). If one thinks about it, Armstrong actually comes way closer to being Raiden's equal, than Solidus ever was.

        Loading editor
    • The one thing I always loved about Solidus was that little panel of armour that slid over his mouth when he was in BATTLE MODE or whatever. Great, that area the size of a postcard being protected by a sixteenth of an inch of armour is going to swing the battle in your favour for sure.

        Loading editor
    • ShadowPirateX wrote:
      Evil Tim wrote:

      The Ace of Razgriz wrote: I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.

      Well come on, is it really that much dumber than fighting a US President who is somehow (a) a Les Enfants Terribles clone (b) a former leader of a unit of child soldiers from Liberia and (c) Doctor Octopus?

      Raiden just seems to attract ridiculous political figures.

      Solidus really was a ridiculous guy. Also, Metal Gear games usually had a final boss who was at equal skill and power as the protagonist. Solidus was no where near being equal to Raiden (i blame the rocket boots). If one thinks about it, Armstrong actually comes way closer to being Raiden's equal, than Solidus ever was.

      Now that I think about it, everything that happened in Arsenal Gear was 3x more ridiculous  than Senator Armstrong. So yeah, point taken.

        Loading editor
    • The Ace of Razgriz wrote:
      Armstrong didn't need Metal Gear EXCELSUS, he just used it for his plan to cause people to suspect that someone was funding Desperado because they couldn't afford a Metal Gear like that.

      The reason that people like Sundowner didn't have those nanomachines was that the nanomachines were a secret and as Doktor says, he didn't even know that these nanomachines were complete. Most likely Armstrong kept this a secret from the others.

      Mistral was pretty much easy to beat, Monsoon wasn't that difficult, Sundowner was the easiest of the four, and Sam was in between Mistral and Monsoon in difficulty.

      Armstrong was a tough fight for me the first time, though my first fight was not as difficult as when i fought him on Very Hard. He weakest hits took 1/4 of my health and if I didn't do blade mode right when he starts throwing things at me I lost all my health. Took me 40mins to kill him (though on my last attempt I pretty much kicked his ass.)

      I agree with you though that Armstrong was a dumb idea for a final boss. I mean really, a US Senator? Why couldn't they just make him the leader of World Marshal and leave it at that.


      Thank You!!!!

      Personally I find the idea for this boss great! A political figure that actually fight when the deed has to be done!

        Loading editor
    • Yeah this boss was terrible I mean when you compare him to the bisexual guys who ballet dance out of people's bullets or the guy who makes Tommy guns out of bees... Armstrong just isn't serious at all.... 

      In all seriousness he was a well done final boss, challenged the player making you use almost every skill you learned to beat him... 

      And Armstrong's rich so of course he's going to be stronger than  Sundowner and crew, Personally I think Sam is supposed to be a letdown and then let you discover he was just a human to make you suprised 

        Loading editor
    • Armstrong is a parody character. His explanation for being unbeatable is that he played college football.

      Clearly, you aren't meant to take him completely seriously.

        Loading editor
    • I thought his explanation for being unbeatable was having NANOMACHINES SON. 

      I must say that one of my favoirte moments in any game was him grabbing Raiden, throwing him twenty feet into the air, and punting him into a wall. That sort of thing is what PG is great at.

        Loading editor
    • You kidding me?  Armstrong is totally the best character in the MG franchise

      DON'T FUCK WITH THIS SENATOR

        Loading editor
    • I honestly enjoyed Armstrong's character. Sure, the tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top depiction isn't usual for MGS (more of a Platinum Games thing and I enjoy their stuff as well especially Bayonetta), but the way they presented him made him really enjoyable and memorable enough as a boss and as an antagonist.

      I don't mind how despite the ridiculousness of his character, he's actually shown to be very in line with the MGS verse in terms of motivations, and having a politician as the final boss isn't really new for Raiden either (Solidus anyone?). But yeah, I thought Armstrong was a welcome addition to the MGS verse, the explanation of his abilities ("Nanomachines, son") was one great slap derived from MGS4's overuse of nanomachines, so I applaud them for that. And besides, I tend to think of him more as an oversized Volgin except he's American and more idealistic in his views despite his sarcasm and crude language (which to be honest, is the closest comparison to another character that one could make in terms of sheer ridiculousness and overwhelming personality as a villain).

        Loading editor
    • I must admit, at first I was dissappointed when I realized this guy was the final boss. After all the cyborgs and UGs in the game, and the final boss is completely different.

      However that doesn't mean I didn't like him. His boss battle was challenging but fun, I liked his funny/serious personality and his understandable ideology. As a character he's perfect as the final boss against Raiden since Raiden supports the weak and Armstrong supports the strong, and I'm actually glad they didn't make him a cyborg. That would have been too predictable, so a little suprise at the end is always good.

        Loading editor
    • I can accept the hamminess of Armstrong as a character, but I still wish Sam was the final boss. Personally, Armstrong would be a hell of a lot more fun if it weren't for those damn zandatsu moments, which I think are poorly executed. Also, personally, I'm just not a fan of QTE. I think they're overused, detract from the immersion within the game, and are also a test of your reflexes and button-mashing ability, not your mastery over the game's system itself.

        Loading editor
    • How can the Zandatsu part be hard? You have like 5-10 seconds to aim each cut.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah I didn't mind them myself. I applaud the fact that Armstrong's boss fight is the culmination of everything you're meant to learn throughout the game, and I find that it's what makes it such an effective final boss.

        Loading editor
    • 130.74.187.147 wrote:
      Armstrong is a parody character. His explanation for being unbeatable is that he played college football.

      Clearly, you aren't meant to take him completely seriously.


      Actually, that can be put down to "Nanomachines son!" He says it himself.

        Loading editor
    • The football thing is a joke.  He uses nanomachines to make himself more powerful.  He has access to a level of technology that PMCs don't, which is why Raiden was so surprised when his attack did fuck all.  It's not hard.

        Loading editor
    • Yes, thanks for bringing that up again. I'm sure we didn't figure that out in... NINE months!

        Loading editor
    • NANOMACHINES SON!

        Loading editor
    • Although I got my ass kicked on Armstrong. I have to give credit where credit is due. I love enhanced strength to the point where it becomes its own defense. And were you just comparing Armstrong to Superman? Armstrong the man of steel. But seriously if you would listen to his song in the cut-scenes I compare him more to Terminator.

        Loading editor
    • Armstrong is the best metal gear villian since Liquid Snake/Ocelot from MGS1

      You want awful main villians? Kojima made a bunch of them:

      -Volgin, forgettable dumb brute being played by almost every party in mgs3

      -Liquid Ocelot, this character is a total mess of retconned bullcrap

      -Coldman, ¿seriously?

      Funny enough Armstrong and Gene, two villians from two non directed Kojima games, are the best main bad guys since Liquid

        Loading editor
    • Oh look, someone wants to let the internet know how disappointed he is like anyone gives a damn.

        Loading editor
    • Now we can add another shitty main villain to the crappy main villain list created by Kojima:

      - Skullface, perharps the most pathetic metal gear villain to date, worse than Hot Coldman lol

        Loading editor
    • Dunno, i was really surprised at seeing Armstrong as last boss, i wondered just how is he gonna try and beat me, then BAM the excelsus! Ok, beat it, what is he gonna do now? BAM! NANOMACHINES, SON! Reall, that was quite the epic moment, i thought: "damn... this is brutal." the music, the fight everything was really epic and enjoyable, really had the feel of FINAL BOSS. 

      As for people whining at Sam not being last boss, i say good riddance! Don't get me wrong, sam is great character maybe even my most favorite in mgr, but... in no way did i see him as a last boss at any point in the game, he's awesome, cool and strong but he simply doesn't fit that epic last boss criteria specially when you consider the fact that ever since you meet himit is quite obvious that he was a puppet, definitely not the puppet master. 

        Loading editor
    • Really, there's a very good reason that, while Sam was an awesome character to meet and defeat, Armstrong's the final boss. Has everyone forgotten that Sam was originally a good guy and Mr. "Go After World Marshall For Great Justice and Stuff"? He only fell in with Desperado after all his efforts to kill Armstrong were in vain, and he got "hired" as a mercy. The beauty of facing Sam when you do is that this timing factors in to how Raiden develops in power (as he gets upgrades) and finds his purpose (all the story stuff of "you hold your sword back" and "all those cyborg cops had feelings, shame on you") as the story progresses. When Raiden faces Sam for the final time, they meet as foils and equals to each other before Raiden proves that he is ultimately better.

      Thus, facing Armstrong at the end symbolizes how Raiden is even stronger than Sam and carrying on his original fight. Raiden has more upgrades and power than Sam did, and his specific resolve to protect the weak from exploitation (especially with Raiden taking it all personal what with how he was exploited by Solidus to be a child soldier) gives him a stronger resolve to stop Armstrong than just Sam's good intentions. It's all part of the symbolism in Raiden having to use Sam's sword to kill Armstrong. It's part of Raiden then saying that he's "not so sure" anymore about his "tool of justice" speech Sam previously mocked. With a figurative Zandatsu, Raiden has taken in Sam's "essence" to empower himself.

      To summarize, Sam would have been a terrible final boss because (as has been said) he was never a mastermind of the plot, and because a ton of beautiful symbolism would have been thrown out the window with such a change. Honestly, I'm having to deny my tool of analysis its purpose over here in wanting to get down every possible nuance of the final fight, or we'd be here forever. Haven't even scratched why Armstrong as he is (a not-your-beltway-pansy senator on NANOMACHINES, SON) is a perfect fight against Raiden and in this game, as opposed to bosses like those in the other games. What I will say is that Rising has the best dang thematic end I've seen in a game for a long time. It all really does...

      ...Have to Be This Way.

        Loading editor
    • 205.175.97.169 wrote:
      Really, there's a very good reason that, while Sam was an awesome character to meet and defeat, Armstrong's the final boss. Has everyone forgotten that Sam was originally a good guy and Mr. "Go After World Marshall For Great Justice and Stuff"? He only fell in with Desperado after all his efforts to kill Armstrong were in vain, and he got "hired" as a mercy. The beauty of facing Sam when you do is that this timing factors in to how Raiden develops in power (as he gets upgrades) and finds his purpose (all the story stuff of "you hold your sword back" and "all those cyborg cops had feelings, shame on you") as the story progresses. When Raiden faces Sam for the final time, they meet as foils and equals to each other before Raiden proves that he is ultimately better.

      Thus, facing Armstrong at the end symbolizes how Raiden is even stronger than Sam and carrying on his original fight. Raiden has more upgrades and power than Sam did, and his specific resolve to protect the weak from exploitation (especially with Raiden taking it all personal what with how he was exploited by Solidus to be a child soldier) gives him a stronger resolve to stop Armstrong than just Sam's good intentions. It's all part of the symbolism in Raiden having to use Sam's sword to kill Armstrong. It's part of Raiden then saying that he's "not so sure" anymore about his "tool of justice" speech Sam previously mocked. With a figurative Zandatsu, Raiden has taken in Sam's "essence" to empower himself.

      To summarize, Sam would have been a terrible final boss because (as has been said) he was never a mastermind of the plot, and because a ton of beautiful symbolism would have been thrown out the window with such a change. Honestly, I'm having to deny my tool of analysis its purpose over here in wanting to get down every possible nuance of the final fight, or we'd be here forever. Haven't even scratched why Armstrong as he is (a not-your-beltway-pansy senator on NANOMACHINES, SON) is a perfect fight against Raiden and in this game, as opposed to bosses like those in the other games. What I will say is that Rising has the best dang thematic end I've seen in a game for a long time. It all really does...

      ...Have to Be This Way.

      Wow, absolutely nailed why the buildup with Sam and then Armstrong as the final boss worked so well for Raiden's character. Honestly loved what you had written here, great stuff.

        Loading editor
    • Is Armstrong a former Diamond Dogs' soldier?

      Is he D-Dog?

        Loading editor
    • 81.193.231.133 wrote:
      Is Armstrong a former Diamond Dogs' soldier?

      Is he D-Dog?

      Wow. That's actually a pretty interesting theory, considering the matter of where Armstrong got his ideas. Now that I think about it, is Armstrong tied somewhere into the larger plot of the series? Perhaps he and Solidus bumped into each other at some point on the campaign trails? "Politician secretly scheming to undo the beliefs of the Patriots and fights Raiden" fits both of them to a T. Heck, that would really put a new spin on the whole "children's brains for cyborgs" thing being called the Sears Program. Now I'm just imagining a lowly Governor of Texas sitting down with the president for a boring private political meeting, with Armstrong giving a complaint about the war economy before the Commander-In-Chief just smirks and says, "In that case, have you ever heard of the La-li-lu-le-lo?" as the scene fades to black.

        Loading editor
    • Armstrong is the best metal gear villain since Liquid Snake.

        Loading editor
    • 66.249.69.131
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki