|Yoji Shinkawa (新川洋司?)|
|Born||December 25, 1971|
Yoji Shinkawa (新川洋司 Shinkawa Yōji?, born December 25, 1971) is a Japanese artist who is the primary character and mechanical designer of the Metal Gear series. He has held this position since Metal Gear Solid. Shinkawa also worked as a mecha designer for the Zone of the Enders games.
Born in Hiroshima, Shinkawa began working for Konami in 1994. He first worked as a debugger for the PC-98 version of Policenauts. He then worked as a graphic designer for the console versions of Policenauts. An early artwork of Solid Snake and Meryl Silverburgh from Metal Gear Solid is featured in the Policenauts: Pilot Disk for the 3DO. He is now the lead artist on many of Kojima Productions' titles.
Shinkawa's illustration is generally praised as original and stylistic, yet technically accurate. According to Shinkawa, he is inspired by anime-related artists like Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and Yoshitaka Amano, but also more Western-related and less contemporary artists such as Frank Miller, Aubrey Beardsley, and Willy Pogany. He is also a big fan of French artists such as Mœbius.
Metal Gear games worked onEdit
- Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (revised character designs)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (promotional illustrations)
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
- Metal Gear Solid: Rising (character & mech design)
- Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (character/concept artist)
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid 2
- The Art of Metal Gear Solid 1.5
- The Master Artworks of Metal Gear Solid 4
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker Official Art Works
- The Art of Yoji Shinkawa Volumes 1-3